Monday, October 14, 2013

Introduction: reviewing the Freeletics method


I'm 35 and I have been an amateur boxer for the past 6 years. But due to a busy schedule, I can't train at the Sweet Science more than once per week. It's an extremely demanding sport. No matter how much intensity I pack into that 1 session, I can feel that I'm hitting my limits too fast. I need more training on the side, but what?

Enters Freeletics.

2 weeks ago, I was half-paying attention to night news when they ran a segment about a new German fitness program that was gaining in popularity. All exercises are body-weight based and therefore don't require any special training equipment or machines. It sounded like something I could do at home or on the road, whenever it was convenient for me.

After further research, it turned out that the content of the training sessions is fixed, the goal is to improve how fast you complete them. To put it differently: you don't start with 10 push-ups to finish with 200 push-ups 15 weeks later. You do 200 push-ups all along, but if it took you 2 hours week #1, hopefully it will only take you 10 minutes by week #15.
A program that will require less and less time to complete as I progress? Just what I need.


How does it work?

The company developed three 15 weeks training programs, based on different training objectives (Cardio, Strength, or both). Different exercises are grouped into separate sessions code-named after Greek & Roman gods: Aphrodite, Hades, Zeus, etc.
Basically each program is a combination of all these individual God-sessions, and will tell you what exercise to do each week, and in which order. For example - week#1: complete Aphrodite 4 times.

There is 5 weeks free program. To get a 15 weeks program, you have to purchase the corresponding guide (40 euros).
There is also an app (5 euros - Android & iPhone), that shows you all the training sessions, records performances. However the app doesn't include the programs.


Personally, I have bought the app, however I have decided not to purchase the guide. I'll start with the 5 free weeks for free. After that I'll follow with a training program found on the Internet (a number of people share their training schedule week after week, so it's relatively easy to find).

2 comments:

  1. So did that workout well for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can look at my before/after body stats post in March 2014 for details. But in a nutshell I feel in much better physical shape now, and lost lost 7kg and 6 cm waist size in the process.
    And I'm still using the method over a year later.
    So, yes I'm pretty statisfy with this system. I got more results than when I used to go to the gym.

    ReplyDelete