Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Cardio-Strength Program: week #1


After completing my 5 weeks of Freeletics free trial, I didn't sign-up for the program right away.

Monday to Wednesday were mandatory rest days, so I decided to only start on the following Monday. This was a really light week, with only one real training day:

Thursday: Boxing training + METIS: 06:20*


Week #1 out of 15

A few weeks back, Freeletics replaced its existing program schedules by a new concept called "Your Coach". Basically, you still choose a training goal (Cardio only, Strength only, or Cardio & Strength) and it will still cost you 40 euros.

The real change is that instead of selling the exact same training routine to everyone, now the company sells a training plan that (supposedly) adapts to your results. Some conspiracy theorists claim that the website just spits out random sessions. Other claim that there is really some kind of algorithm, and that recording dummy results (e.g. 2 minutes completion time for Aphrodite) actually leads to more difficult training workload in the following weeks.

I don't know who is right, and honestly I'm not going to spend 40 bucks and input crazy completion times just to see if the program adapts or not. In any case, it's a smart move by Freeletics. I couldn't see how they could make money on the long term from selling a fixed training routine. In the days & age of the Internet, there are too many people out there who are sharing their workout experience. Now that everyone trains slightly differently it makes it harder to just Google the program instead of buying it.

Anyway, I don't know if it's due to the previous 5 weeks being focused on Cardio, but for week #1 My Coach decided to re-balance my training: 4 Hades sessions!

Let me introduce you to Hades:
  • 25 Burpees
  • 15 Pullups
  • 15 Pushups
  • 25 Burpees
  • 2x 40m run
  • (3 rounds)

Before starting, I expected a challenging workout. Cardio exercises can be exhausting, but you can always keep on going. More slowly, breathing heavily, but the show goes on.
With a Strength workout, once your muscles say "Stop!", the training is over.

My main concern, with Hades was pullups. I knew that I couldn't do 45 repetitions. In a few weeks, I'm sure that it won't be an issue anymore. But for now, it is. So I had to make the following choice:
  • either do 3x 15 pullups the proper way, and spend over an hour to complete training
  • or, do as many proper pullups as possible and finish with the easier version.

I chose the second option. Freeletics is based on high-intensity training, I didn't want to just stand there, while waiting for my arms recovered from a few pullups. However, the key is that each time I really need to do as many proper pullups as possible. The easier version (using the feet to generate a slight impulse), can only be used as a last resort. This is the only way to get better at this exercise.


Before moving-on the my results, I need to clarify another point. I train indoor, therefore the 2x 40m run is an issue. In my training routine I replaced the run by a high knee run static. The body movement is similar to the original exercise, and the high knew adds a layer of difficulty which makes is a good cardio workout.
I do this for 15 seconds, which is a bit longer than a 80m run would take me.


Monday: HADES 25:17

Tuesday: HADES 25:08 (personal best) + Bonus: LEG LEVERS MAX (146* repetitions -personal best)

Wednesday: HADES 22:52 (personal best)

Thursday: Boxing training

Friday: HADES 21:59 (personal best) + Bonus: SITUPS MAX (102* repetitions)

Reminder: Throughout this blog, I'm following the Freeletics scoring convention. Each time that there is a star (*) next to a completion time it means that I completed all the session using the most difficult version of each exercise. A completion time with a star is always ranked above a completion time without a star (i.e. 30:00* is better than 20:00).
Since I didn't complete any Hades doing only the most difficult pullups, I cannot claim the star yet.

Hades is a challenging session for arms & shoulders (Burpees+pullups+pushups), but actually it doesn't take too long to complete. And because it doesn't require any effort from the rest of the body, it's very easy to combine with other exercises. As you can see, twice this week I added some abs training.

All in all, I actually enjoyed Hades. Of course, I won't be fully satisfied until I get these pullups under control, but it's just a matter of time. The more I train, the easier it will get.



23 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Got me really motivated to try this out as well. What goal did you choose for your 15-week coach, losing weight or building strength?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you find my blog motivating. I think that motivation & emulation are very important parts of the Freeletics method. Of course intensive training is what makes us burn these calories. But it's equally important no to quit. Knowing that "normal" people went through the program successfully is a huge boost to motivation.

    When I signed-up, I could choose between 3 programs: "Cardio only", "Strength only" or "Strength & Cardio".

    I chose "Strength & Cardio". These 2 aspects are equally important in boxing, so it was important for me to get most balanced program.
    This choice was based on my personal situation. Based on your own objectives you can perfectly choose to buy another program. For example Cardio if you want to lose weight or as a side training for another sport (like running).
    IMO, Strength is more suitable for people who are relatively lean already and want to gain muscle volume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ! I am very interested to know a lot about freeletics , before I start . First i wanna say that i don't wanna spent 40 euros. So.. can I ask u something? :D :
    1. You are using only the paid app right?
    2. When I start the training, can you help me if I need?

    Tnx, and I wait for ur reply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,

      To answer your questions:

      1. When I started, I didn't want to pay 40 euros upfront without knowing if the program was what I expected. So at first I just bought the paid app and started by doing the 5 weeks pre-program. This trial showed me that I could handle both freeletics and my regular sport, so then I actually did buy the program.

      2. I won't be carrying your towel or doing the water boy for you... ;-)
      But if you have questions, feel free to ask me here.

      Delete
    2. And what exactly the program contains?

      Delete
    3. I wanna ask you this 2 :
      If I don't buy the 40 euros program , only the app.. Can I do something? I mean with the payed app i recive the other God named workouts? on free one they give only 4..

      Delete
    4. Yes, the paid app gives you the details for all the workouts (i.e. all the god names). For example for Poseidon, you can see you have to do 40 pullups, then 40 pushus, etc. And the videos on how to do the movements.
      You can also use the app to record your training results.

      The program works the following way: you sign-in on the Freeletics website and in your account you see that week 1 you need to do Aphrodite, Dione, Aphrodite and Dione (this is just an example, everyone gets different exercises to complete). Once you are done with these 4 workouts, you can see the schedule for week 2. This lasts for 15 weeks.


      So basically, if you intend to use Freeltics on your own (for example to train only once or twice per week), then you can just take the app. If you want to do the complete training (usually 4-5 sessions per week) and are not sure which workout (greek god) to do when, then the program can be useful.

      Delete
    5. Ok then.. Thank you very much for informations
      I'll write to you when I'll start training and how it works for me .. see ya

      Delete
    6. Hey I found this torrent with strenght program pdf. Can u check it a bit and tell me if it looks like yours ? And what u think about it (it is good or not really) ?
      link :

      http://kickass.to/freeletics-strength-t8314615.html

      Delete
    7. There are 3 types of programs: Cardio only; Strength only and Cardio+Strength.
      Each is 15 weeks long, the only difference as you can imagine is in their content. If you take strength it's mostly going to be about building muscle, so little running and many pullups/pushups. Etc.

      When Freeletics started their business, their were already selling these 3 types of programs. If you paid for the Cardio program, you'd receive pdf with the workouts to do. Everyone who bought the Cardio program received exactly the same pdf file.

      A few months ago (just before I begun my training), Freeletics stop selling the pdf. Now you have to log onto their website to see the weekly training. And the training content changes from person to person. One person could have to do 4 Dione in Week 1, when nother would have to do 2 Aphrodite + 2 Hades in week 1.

      So the program that you found cannot be like the one that I'm doing at the moment for 2 reasons:
      - I do Cardio+Strength, not Strength only
      - the content of my web-based program is unique

      The torrent that you found is probably one of these "old" programs. I haven't tried it myself, but I assume that since it was designed by the guys from Freeletics it should work like the new ones.

      Delete
    8. I will try one of this "old" programs i dont know each one (i just found the cardio & strenght one too :) ) but in a week or 2 I'll start training with freeletics ..
      Thank you again and see ya in a few weeks

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking about doing freeletics since I go to the gym and basically I'm going to be paying even more. I wish I would've found out about this before but if u get the 5 week trial , do you only have to pay for the other ten or?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fernando,

      No, the 5 weeks trial is separate from the 15 week program. So if you do the trial, and then choose to do one of the programs you'll be training for 20 weeks in total.

      Delete
  5. Hi.
    I'm Viveck Parekh from India. I've recently started with the Freeletics workouts and i'm feeling quite good about it. My concern is that I have a sizeable body structure approx 15kgs overweight at present with not much strength in my arms to pull up my weight. If I can't do pull ups, how do I perform Hades? Also, are there any recommended workouts for the first couple weeks for overweights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viveck,

      You may be interested read my last post about the star version, it deals with the topic that you're bringing-up. Basically, for each exercise there is a "modified version", which is easier and intended so that the workout (even pullups) can be finished by anyone.
      If you bought the program, check out the tutorial videos on the Freeletics website. Otherwise if get the pro app on the phone, you can also see all the tutorials for each exercise (both the normal & easier version).

      People who face serious obesity should check with their doctor if it's okay to do the program right away (if you're 50kg overweight it's probably not good for your joints to be jumping around) or if they are at risk of injury. But if you're only mildly overweight, the modified version should be enough for you.

      Last but not least, your weight is not really the issue for pullups. Sure the more you weight, the harder it is, but the truth is that pull-ups are hard for anyone who's not used to be doing this exercise. Skinny guys also can't pull themselves up until they have the back muscles strong enough. My bet is that if you train hard and regularly, you'll be able to dog normal pull-ups long before you have lost these 15kg :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi,

    I have no pull up bar and I'm also working out at home (no gym access). Is there an alternative for pull ups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I don't know any exercise that could replace pull-ups. May be by doing several other workouts you could train the same muscles groups, but I can't think of 1 single exercise that would do the trick. May be laying down below a table, heels on the ground and trying to pull yourself upward. Although it's probably not as efficient as a proper pull-up.

      Is there no fitness trail, playground or playing fields around your house where you could do pull-ups? If not, or if you are stuck at home, you can buy a pullup bars that fits into a door frame (the option I chose). Or sometimes you can use staircases or ceiling beams as alternatives to pull bar.


      Delete
    2. Hi,

      Thanks for the response, I think I'll have to buy that pull up bar in truth. No other option really are viable. But for the time being I'll do some lat pulldowns with the resistance bands I have at the moment and hope they do some good.

      Delete
  7. Which pullup bar did you buy? I bought one last year but it was not very robust and it almost broke after few weeks, I don't use it anymore. Would be interested to know if yours is better...Thanks.

    FYI I bought this bar: http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1398315930&sr=1-1&keywords=pull+up+bar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faycal,

      I bought a different. Due to lack of appropriate space, I use a model that fits within a door frame. It has a screw system inside, so that it adapts to most width. I can still shut the door close, so I leave it there all the time.

      To exact model that I bought is the following:
      http://www.go-sport.com/sport/fitness-musculation/traction-porte/f-73001020102-mb00000023o.html#fpTabbed_0

      So far I don't have to complain about its robustness. There are however a few downside to be taken into account:

      - some models just fit into the door frame by pressure against the frame. What wasn't clearly specified my model is that you need to screw 2 pins into the door frame to block the bar. This makes the bar much more stable, but also forced me to drill holes in the frame. I you are renting, you may want to use a model that creates no/minimum damages to the property...

      - the width is limited by the door frame. Hence wide grip exercises are impossible (not a problem for Freeletics, but still good to know this)


      At my boxing gym they have ceiling mounted bar, the shape is similar to this:
      http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Body-Press-Joist-Mounted/dp/B003TYCVKG/ref=sr_1_26?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1398328102&sr=1-26&keywords=ceiling+pull+up+bar

      However it's 1 piece of pure thick steel. I have no idea where they bought it, but this thing looks unbreakable (I'm sure it be there even after the building crumbles!).
      Anyway, if you have a basement or garage where you can fix permanently a bar like this it's probably the best option.
      It's very sturdy, you can do all kind of grips and it doesn't have to be setup close to a wall (hence you have room to do leg workouts as you grip the bar)

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    Thanks for the motivating blog.
    I receiving old pdf strenght+cardio.
    Week-1:
    SESSION 1-Venus
    SESSION 2-Burpee MAX
    SESSION 3-Aphrodite
    SESSION 4-Squat MAX
    SESSION 5-Dione

    As begineer, should I jump using the pdf instruction? or start by your 5 weeks Trial Workout as explained in this blog, or start using your 15 week instruction workout?

    I paid the pro app, but not intending follow the coach.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      Just to put the discussion into context for other readers. Based on your other comment (under "Pre-program (Free trial): week #1"), at the moment you can't finish a full Aphrodite workout.
      If you complete Aphrodite in 1h30 you may be a long way from top-performers, but at least the next time when you finish in 1h23 you will know that *YOU* are improving. Then it will be 1h15, 1h02, etc. Slowly but surely you'll get better and that's a very motivating feeling. You can see your efforts pay-off.

      Rushing into the program could be demotivating. If week 2 you are asked to do Dione, when you are still unable to master Aphrodite, you'll just go from deception to deception.
      Hence before thinking about which program to do, my suggestion would be to take a step back and focus on Aphrodite.

      As mentioned in my other answer, start with a light version 30-20-10, then 40-30-20-10 and then go for the full thing (even if not the star version). Also do a few push-up max regularly, you'll need to get used to it to complete Venus.
      Once you can finish Aphrodite, whatever the time, go for the 5 weeks Trial program (which by the way is not *mine* it comes from the Freeletics guys). After the 5 weeks, you'll be in much better physical shape than when you started. It will be a good time to move-on to the 15 weeks.

      My 2 cents.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Thank you very much for the suggestion.

    Very usefull.
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete