Monday, November 11, 2013

Pre-Program (Free trial): week #5 (Hell week)

Week #5 out of 5

I'm glad to report that I came out alive of "Hell Week"! 
The name comes from Freeletics, not me. From time to time in the program, there is a week when the training workload is more intense. Instead of the usual 3 or 4 sessions, week #5 required training every day, for 7 days in a row, some days including several workouts. Afterward there is a 3 days mandatory resting period, so next week will be light.

[UPDATE Jan 2014 - Start]
Please note that this week some of the training content is elective.
In the training schedule below, on Day1, Day5 &  Day7, I chose to do the Dione workout. However, don't be surprised if you see on the Internet that other people have done Zeus instead. They simply chose to focus on Strength instead of Cardio.
[UPDATE Jan 2014 - End]


Monday: DIONE 34:38* (personal best)

I had not train with Dione last week. As my physical shape is improving every day (at least in theory), I was hoping to improve my completion time.
The theory was right this time, I improved my personal best by 36s.
Good omens for the week?


Tuesday: 

  • SQUAT MAX: 168* repetitions (personal best)
  • PUSHUP MAX: 33* repetitions
  • METIS: 07:10*
It started well, Squats had not been part of my training since week #2. I found them much harder than last time. This session was tough, but I scored a new PB in Squat Max. 168 repetitions, versus 165 previously. Not a stellar improvement, but I was pleased that I didn't suffer in vain!


My cheerfulness was short-lived.
The next session, I only completed 33 Push-ups Max, close to my lowest score of 30 reps. Despite fresh arms, I couldn't do better.
And finally, I completed Metis in 7:10. My all-time worse performance. I struggled to finish.

The frustrating thing is that I don't understand why this disappointing performance happened:
I had a good night of sleep.
I felt good. No sore muscle.
I had a nice warm-up.
I was motivated to take-on these 3 sessions.
Yet, I completely ran out of juice.

Let's forget this bad day...


Wednesday: DIONE 33:51* (personal best)

After Tuesday's fiasco, I was a bit pessimistic before training. But no bad surprise today. Training was fine, I even scored a new Dione PB.


Thursday: APHRODITE 27:51* (personal best) + Boxing training

My main concern this week was to integrate the heavy training load with my boxing day. Fortunately, day#4 only included 1 session of Aphrodite. I scheduled an early morning training (this time leaving myself enough time to awake properly before the training!)
Aphrodite was a bit tougher than expected (I had forgotten the "pleasure" of a 50 burpees round), but I got a PB, improving overall time by over a minute.

The boxing training was more difficult than usual. I still had sore tights from Tuesday's Squat Max and lower energy levels after the morning session. 


Friday: DIONE 32:47* (personal best)

I love boxing.
This is the second time since starting Freeletics, that the day after boxing I woke-up feeling regenerated. The long warm-up and stretching completely wiped-out sore muscles. I was halfway through Hell Week, yet I felt like a Monday.
Training went well, I improved Dione by another minute.


Saturday: APHRODITE 25:50* (personal best)

Another good training. Aphrodite improved by 2 minutes since Thursday!
It's very motivating to see progress day after day.


Sunday: 

  • DIONE 31:27* (personal best)
  • [5 minutes rest]
  • METIS: 06:33*
  • [2 minutes rest]
  • SQUAT MAX: 168* repetitions (personal best)
The last day of Hell Week. 3 sessions. I was hoping to score 3 PB. I only got two.

I started Metis on a good pace, completing the first round in 1 minute. However, I lost too much time during the second round. The Dione session & its burpees had taken their toll.

Despite my efforts I couldn't improve my Squats Max, but finished with 168 like my Tuesday PB. According to the app, it still counts as a Personal Best.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this Hell Week. I had expected declining performances over the week as tiredness settled-in. Instead I have gotten a new personal best every day. However such a training-heavy week requires a lot of discipline, and I was lucky not to get any scheduling conflicts. For people who do a lot of business travel or just have a busy life, training every day could be difficult. Thankfully, it's not Hell Week every week!

No comments:

Post a Comment