Saturday, September 27, 2014

Second Program: Week #2



Week 48: Second Program - week 2 out of 15

Week settings:
  • Area of focus: Cardio-Strength
  • Number of training days: 4
  • Limitations: none
  • Last week feedback: "Hard, but OK"
Note: there are 3 status available to give weekly feedback to the Coach "Hard, but OK", "Far too hard" or "Far too easy".

Training:
  • Monday: [bonus: 2k run in 09:58] +Hera standard 3/5 (12:02* -PB) +[bonus: 2k run in 10:47]
  • Tuesday: Hades standard (19:04*)
  • Wednesday: Zeus standard 3/4 (20:06 -PB)
  • Thursday: boxing training
  • Friday: Hades standard (18:56*)

Statistics:
  • 1366 points
  • 90 minutes


I had been relatively sparred in week 1, while a number of freeathletes in my network using the Coach had been assigned a few tough workouts. Despite the starless Zeus, I had completed all my workouts with decent times. So, when I clicked on the "Next week"button, I expected the coach to progressively ramp-up difficulty. 

Then I had a WTF moment.

Out of the 4 training days, 2 were made of partial workouts. That may have made sense, if it was intended to compensate for the remaining 2 days. But these other 2 days, were far from being tough enough to justify rest days.

On the Monday, I couldn't imagine only do a 3/5 standard Hera. So I ended-up running 2 km before & after training, to feel like I had really done something. That worked. The runs provided good complementary exercise and it turned out that the Hera session was very intensive. Due to its shortness, I didn't worry about pacing my efforts so I ran the 400m faster than I usually do.

Not much to say about the rest of the week. Training felt definitely too light, and the statistics confirmed it. Overall training time had decreased by 22 minutes (90 vs 112 in week 1) and points dropped from 4'150 to 1'366! (I'm not a big fan of points but they do give a rough sense of training intensity).


At the end of week 2, I was pretty upset about partial workouts. The idea is not bad, but I see them as complements to regular workouts, not replacements. I really hope that training will step-up a notch SOON...

No comments:

Post a Comment