Thursday, March 27, 2014

Burpee breathing technique


B
urpees is one of the most complete exercise you can do: it puts the entire body to work. Even if it doesn't require pure strength like pushups or pullups, many people (including me during my first session), are exhausted after a few repetitions.

In my case the main challenge was that at first, I couldn't figure out the proper breathing pattern for this exercise. By the time I was done with all the repetitions I was gasping for air.
After a while I realized that the standard exercising pattern only works with short exercises:

  • Start exercise = contract muscles = breath-out
  • End exercise = relax muscles = breath-in


If you look at Burpee Max completion times, you'll see that it takes ~6 seconds per repetition for beginners to complete a burpee. Even top athletes barely do it under 3 seconds. Try holding your nose for a few seconds while doing physical activity. This is a long time. You'll be quickly out of breath. And that's basically what I was doing by only breathing once per burpee.

Let's have a look at the exercise (disclaimer: I'm not the ripped guy on the pictures below. In case you haven't recognized them, these are screenshots from the Freeletics tutorial video):




I have found that breathing twice per burpee works the best for me:

  • Start: you are relaxed and happy. You're misery has not started yet.
  • Position 1: breath-in before reaching for the ground
  • Position 2: breath-out while landing on the ground
  • Position 3: breath-in just before pushing on your arms
  • Position 4: hold your breath
  • Position 5: breath-out just before or during the small jump
  • End: congratulations you made it! Too bad there are more repetitions to follow...

Now, at first when you're just starting training, or at times when you are exhausted, the transition from 3 to 4 may be not be a smooth cat-like jump. It may be more like crawling back up. In which case the burpee will take longer to complete and you may want consider breathing 3 times per repetitions:
  • Start.
  • Position 1: breath-in before reaching for the ground
  • Position 2: breath-out while landing on the ground
  • Position 3: breath-in just before pushing on your arms
  • Position 3 (bis): breath-out once you are have pushed on your arms 
  • Position 4: breath-in while getting back on your feet
  • Position 5: breath-out just before or during the small jump
  • End: breath-out

Keeping in mind that:

  • breathing-in = 1 deep breath through the nose
  • breathing-out =  ideally through nose 1 short exhalation, some prefer through mouth or 2 exhalations.
  • It may take a while for the pattern to become natural, so you may have to actively think about your breathing when doing the burpee. You may lose focus and take a bit longer to complete the exercise. It's not a big deal to miss a few personal best, as long as it helps you improve on the long-run.


Above is the way that I see breathing for one individual burpee. Try to manage your breath for the entire repetition cycle as well. If you finish repetition 1 just a tiny little bit out of breath, it won't impact your training. You can even do 15 in a row, without much problem. But if you need to do 40 or 50 repetitions, then make sure that your breathing is under control for the entire time. Once out of breath your endurance is over.

13 comments:

  1. Great!!!
    Thanks for good explanation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This question came-up a few times already, so I had a the opportunity to practice my answer a few times before writing this post :-)

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with your techniques. When I started Freeletics, or let's say burpees :), I used technique with four breathing's. As far my speed was faster I tried to look for best technique. Breathing twice was most suitable for me. Exactly the same way, like you described:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see confirmation that you also find this technique as a fairly natural breathing pattern.

      Delete
  3. Hi there, can I have a question? I been started the APHRODITE last two days. I had my muscle sore. Should I continue for the lesson for the next few days? I went for jog beside this exercise. Seek some advise from you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tank,

      Personally, if it's just sore muscles I keep training. Basically, as long as I'm not risking a more serious injury, it's training as usual. For tendinitis, I'm a bit more caution to avoid unnecessary stress to the tendon (otherwise it won't heal, and I drag it for weeks).

      Expect some sore muscles for the first few weeks, but eventually as your body grows use to the training you'll get less and less. Now I pretty much never have any, even when I focus on a certain muscles group.

      Delete
  4. I need to try your technique!
    A lot of times I have serious problems with breathing while doing burpees; few times even I had to stop, because my throat was burning:/
    Maybe your method will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actively think about your breathing. By that I mean, in your brain you should literally be telling yourself: "now breath-in. now breath out", etc.


      This is something that boxing taught me: in stressful situations (like someone trying to push you in the face) or when pushing your physical limits, most people will have the reflex to hold their breath completely. This is bad and leads to quick exhaustion.
      The worse is that usually, we don't even realize that we are doing it. But it's quite visible when you stand on the side and watch someone else sparring or training.

      Delete
    2. You are completly right about that breath holding. Next time I`ll be more careful.
      Thx for advice:)

      PS. I found you in FL app;)

      Delete
    3. I now follow you as well. Just don't be surprised if I don't comment your results, the app is bugging at the moment when you have lots of people in your network. At the moment I can't really see what's going on in my network.

      Once they fix the bug, it will be easier for me to see who is doing what.

      Delete
  5. Great tip!
    I'm well into my Freeletics journey (been doing it for 6 months, but just started the coach last week) (Adam D, from Toronto!) and I too found a similar technique for burpees.
    I didn't go as far to break it out into exactly when you should breath in/out during the movement, but I found for myself to breathe like I was already out of breath, from the beginning of the set, before I was actually feeling 'the burn'.. this allowed me to post my best times for burpee workouts. I found when doing this, I could do more burpees before I needed to take a break, i.e ~45 consecutive burpees vs ~35.
    It's a small difference, but when compounded over 150-200 burpees, it adds up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam,

      Thanks for your comment.
      For most workouts the idea is to breath-out when doing the effort and breath-in when relaxing. Hence my suggested time to breath.
      I think that focusing on these specific moments is important for beginners because learning the routine is key so that breathing becomes more natural.

      If I'm in a great day and burpees feel like a walk in the park (or at the beginning of the workout), I often try to keep my breathing pattern in-line with what I describe in the post above.
      However, I have noticed that when I'm having a big sweat it happens that I lose track of whether my breathing is in-synch with my movements. When this happens I don't want to lose my focus, so I keep going without thinking about the synch. However, I always make sure that I breath a lot, the entire time.

      It's a natural tendency to start breathing more when we start to get out of breath. But it's too late, at this stage you're already in damage control mode and body slows down. The idea is to breath well the entire time. As you pointed out, once you master breathing burpees can be completed without taking breaks (or less breaks).

      Delete
  6. Great burpee workouts. keep up the good work. How many variations have you used?

    ReplyDelete