Monday, June 2, 2014

Breaking the push-up max ceiling


I have been training for over half a year now, and step by step my performance has been improving. Cumulated small gains, ended-up being big gains.
To illustrate my point, let's compare my current Personal Bests for a few workouts versus my first attempts (Oct/Nov 2013). In bracket I'm showing Alexander Villena's PB as benchmarks of top performance (I still have lots of work to do):
  • Aphrodite: 30:49* → 18:59* (AV PB = 13:27*)
  • Dione: 37:03* → 23:17* (AV PB = 19:51)
  • Hades: 25:17 (no star) → 16:04* (AV PB = 13:43*)
  • Pull-up MAX: 14* → 34* (AV PB = 59*)

Not surprisingly, enhanced physical activity has been leading to better results across the board. However, lately I have been growing disappointed with my (lack of) progress in push-ups. It that one specific exercise I felt like I had plateaued.
 
Below is a chart showing all my Push-ups max results since the beginning (PB are highlighted in blue).





While following the program, my PB went from 42 to 53. An improvement, but nothing spectacular. At first I didn't worry about it, thinking that I would probably get better results after completing my Cardio-Strength program simply by increasing the ratio of Strength-oriented workouts to my routine. In March-April I started making my own schedule, so I included a lot of Venus, Hades and Pushup MAX.

But nothing happened.

I once equaled my PB, but most of the time I was far below. Of course, often I had been performing the Pushup MAX toward the end of a session, when my arm muscles were already tired. So poor performance on any single day didn't mean much. But looking at the trend, it confirmed what my guts had been telling me: my performance stalled around 50.

By mid-May I was convinced that to progress further I needed a special training for push-ups. So I started looking for a method. The good news is that the Internet is full of advises on how to improve push-ups. The bad news is that there is no consensus: everyone makes different recommendations. Also, a lot of the suggested methods did not really fit with my schedule or my regular training. Many programs had very heavy training days followed by 48 hours of rest. I wanted to focus on push-ups, but not do only push-ups.

I wanted something that I could do in complement to my other Freeletics workouts. In the end, I took some ideas from 3 coaches' opinions on the matter and mixed them with a former Navy seal's 10 days program to come-up with a custom training plan. Using 50 reps as my baseline max, I setup the following rules:
  • 10 consecutive of days push-ups training, followed by 48 hours of rest
  • Total push-ups per day: 4 times my max (=200 push-ups per day).
  • 25 repetitions per set (half my max).
  • First 100 reps before breakfast, the last 100 in the evening with my regular training.
  • I didn't want to risk injury from over-training, so if my evening workout already included push-ups, that would count toward my daily goal of 200.
Each set of 25 would be performed consecutively (no break) and recorded in the Freeletics app as a Push-up MAX. The idea was to keep track of my count, but also to force me to take breaks. Because a MAX lasts 1:40 and I only need half this time to do 25 push-ups, hence I would get ~1 minute of rest between each set.

I was wondering if that regimen would be too hard on my muscles. But 25 repetitions turned out to be a good number. It was exactly the number of reps that I could perform before getting into the grinding zone. The first few days my arms would be tired rapidly. In the first 2 sets I would do all the repetitions in 40-45 seconds. The 4th set was harder, my paced dropped to 55-60 seconds. After a 5-6 days my speed improved (35-40 seconds) and was constant during all 4 sets.

After a few days when I saw that my arms handled the effort well, for added difficulty, from time to time one of my kid would lay on my back while I performed the push-ups. The extra weight was respectively 15kg (33 lbs) or 11kg (24 lbs). It's cheaper than buying a weighted vest, but the downside is that for them it's like a merry-go-round ride. Once they try it, they want to get a ride every time...
 

After the 10 days of training and the 48 hours of rest, I took a new Push-up Max  to measure improvements. I ended-up doing 60 repetitions, largely breaking my 3 months-old PB. 


However, when completing this test, my shoulders still felt a bit stiff. I wasn't sure if I was in peak condition. I decided to do a second test after an additional 2 days of rest. Tonight I started my training with a Pushup MAX and completed 60 reps again. A few workouts later, I completed a second Pushup MAX ending at 55 reps.

The last 3 attempts have clearly been a notch above historical performance. So the special focus definitely paid-off. I will probably re-do a similar program in the future to keep driving improvements (may be pull-ups?). But this will remain occasional, in order to give my body enough rest.

Unexpectedly, I really enjoyed the quick push-ups session prior to breakfast. I'm thinking to do this more regularly. Total reps (100?), format (4 sets? 3 sets) and periodicity (daily? every 2 days?) are still to be determined. I will see in the next few weeks what routine feels the most natural.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats for breaking your previous PB. Good job and a great experimentation. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks
    Madhu Ramachandran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the continued support, Madhu.

      Delete
  2. Hi DLL, I've just come across your page and really appreciate it for several reasons. Firstly, I'm about the same age, secondly I'll soon begin freeathletics and finally but most importantly, I value your general attention to detail.

    I've been using runtastics pushup pro for 3 months now and have seen my pushup max go from 22 to 50. However, this has taken much longer than the dedicated program permitted. You only do 3 sessions of 5 sets per week on the pushup pro program.

    I'm going to try your approach for 10 days and see how I do. I have a feeling that I will improve my pushup max significanly more than I would using the pushup pro app. Before I do, I have three questions for you:

    1) Do you consider your pushups to be executed perfectly (i.e. nose practically touching the floor)?
    2) Do you allow yourself any rests during the set (in position)?
    3) Do you execute your pushups as fast as possible or at a even fluid rhythm?

    I'd really appreciate your feedback,

    GF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff,

      I'm glad that you found my blog useful.

      To answer your questions:
      1. There is no doubt that my pushups are as clean as possible on the way down, as in Freeletics method the "standard" pushups are hand-release pushups (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTHCWFJtoQ8).
      On the way up, I try to keep my back straight all the time and push all the way. I never filmed myself to see if my position is absolutely perfect, but it should be fairly clean.

      2 & 3. It depends on how many pushups in a row I need to perform. Ideally I try to perform my set with fast & regular movements and no break. But I have noticed that while the first 25-30 reps are very fluid, my pace drops after that. Which by the way, 25 per set happened to be the number I used for my "push-up challenge" described above, so for this specific training my sets were relatively fluid.
      However, if I go for a longer set (50, 100 or 250), I cannot hold a regular pace all the way. In this case, I tend to do the first 25 at full speed, then pace drop for the next 25. At this point I do 10 reps at a time taking a short breaks in-between (laying on the ground in PU position)

      Something that I have not tried at the time when I did my challenge above, but have been thinking about lately is to add a few sets of one-hand pushups into the training mix. The idea being to train the arms to handle much more weight than with regular PU.

      I hope it helps.

      Delete
    2. I actually didn't know about 'hand-release' pushups so thanks for introducing me to a different method. It seems there is some debate as to whether these are harder than well executed consecutive pushups, which do not allow you to release the tension. However, I'll give them a go and form my own opinion.

      Pushups pro only registers a pressup when your nose hits the screen. I like this for two reasons, I don't have to count and it ensures I go all the way down.

      Yesterday I started the 10-day training program. Before I started I could execute 50 in one set, but with 3 pauses in the upright position. I will complete the program as follows:

      Odd Days: As few max rep sets as possible, pausing for 2 minutes between sets in completing 200 in one session. I will switch between standard and wide grips. Progress will be measured in how many sets I need to do 200 and how few I do in my final set. For example, 8-20 = 8 sets, finishing with 20 in my 8th set or 7-3 = 7 sets finishing with 3 in my 7th set.

      Even Days: Just as you did, 100 in the morning and 100 in the evening. I will do these in 4 sets of 25 with a 2 minute rest between sets. If I complete all 4 sets without pausing during the set, I will increase the difficulty by reducing the rest time between sets.

      After I’ve completed the program I will rest for 3 days before doing a max rep test. My target is to be able to do 50 reps without resting.

      I’ll let you know how it goes!

      Your numbers suggest you've made significant progress so well done! I agree about one-hand pressups. I'm sure it would be effective. Actually, in the future I want to build up to doing one-hand pullups and there are some useful pages out there with advice for doing so.

      GF

      P.S. My plan is to switch to freeletics once I can do 50 pushups without rest and 20 pullups (currently on 13)...

      Delete
  3. Yunmai Push-up Bracket can partially enhance muscle strength, correct exercise posture, and shape the muscle curve on your upper limbs.

    ReplyDelete