Saturday, February 1, 2014

Cardio-Strength Program: week #11

Week #11 out of 15

Good news for you guys. I don't have much to comment this week, so hopefully you'll be spared from my long monologues!
The training program that I was assigned is very standard. No new workout. No particularly difficult assignment. No complaining about the weather.
Just a lot of Dione, it felt a bit like starting the program all over again.


Monday: DIONE (28:21* -personal best)

In week #9, I was assigned my first Dione in a long time. So I had expected to send my 2 months old personal best out of the ballpark. In the end, it "only" improved by about 2 minutes (at 29:16*).
I didn't want any regrets this time. To get good completion time in cardio (regardless if you are aiming at 15mn or 45mn), it's all about pace. Starting too fast jeopardizes the end of the workout. In my case, I have noticed that if I don't pay attention, I tend to slow down during the abs workouts. I slip into a comfortable rhythm instead of my best pace.
In the end I improved my completion time by nearly a minute.


Tuesday: HADES (18:01* -personal best)

For some reason, I was convinced that week #11 started with 3 Dione in a row.
But that evening I wasn't really in the mood for a 30mn workout, so just in case I double checked my schedule. Believe it or not, but I was glad to see that I had to do Hades instead.

Let's pause for a second, and think about it.
Only a few weeks back, I couldn't do 3 normal pullups in a row. But today, my brain categorizes a workout with 45 pullups & 45 pushups as "good news".
I'm not pretending to be a pullups guru. I still have huge room from improvement. But I think that it's a good anecdote to share with for those of you which have just begun training. Yes, these damn pullups may feel impossible. But the more you try, the easier it gets.

Anyway, another PB. I expected an improvement, as last week training was heavily focused on arms. But a 1:28 gain was bigger than I had imagined.


Wednesday:
DIONE (29:04*)

Today it was a bit more difficult than usual to get into my training. It felt like I started much slower than usual in round 1. The pace increased afterward. In the end I don't have to be ashamed of the result (it's still below last week's PB), but no new record today.


Thursday: Boxing training

Friday: Boxing training

Two boxing training this week. The second one was relatively short (~45mn).


Saturday: DIONE (27:03* -personal best) + Bonus: PULLUPS MAX (33* repetitions -personal best)

Sunday: Bonus: PUSHUPS MAX (51* repetitions -personal best)

Again a new PB in Dione. Again, improved by over a minute.
A few weeks back, I was wondering if my plateauing performance in the basic Cardio workouts (Dione & Aphrodite) was not linked to the increased diversity of my training. Or to put it differently, as I started doing a lot of other things (Hera, Kentauros, Hades, Zeus, etc.), I was getting less specialized in Dione & Aphrodite.

My first intuition, seems to be confirmed by my good results with Dione lately. I have been doing the same workout over and over again, and almost each time I have decreased my PB by a minute. The take-away is that if one day you absolutely want to achieve a certain milestone (e.g. Aphrodite under 15mn), but don't seem to get there. The best strategy is to repeat that same exercise over and over again, until you become super efficient at it.


Anyway, on Saturday I had some extra energy left to burn so I decided to do a quick Pullups Max. I had been doing many workouts that includes pullups, but without measuring my progress with a Max.
Shortly after I completed the workout, one of the blog readers (Dimitri) who follows me on the app, commented on the performance. Basically he was joking that 33 reps would look more feasible if it were pushups instead of pullups.

That comment actually reminded me that when I started, on bad days I would usually be in the mid-thirties for Pushups Max. My PB was at 42. Certainly I should be able to do more now. To avoid thinking about it too much, Sunday I did a quick test: 51 reps.
The first 30 reps were actually not difficult. Execution was quick without pausing. It's around 35 reps that my muscles started to be strained, and I slowed down notably.
Out of the 100 seconds that the exercise lasted, I estimate that it took me 50s for the first 35 reps and 50s for the last 16 reps.
So clearly the bottle neck for me to reduce time further is not execution speed but how many reps in a row I can endure. More muscle building is required...


4 comments:

  1. I just found out your blog and it's pretty cool :)
    I'm doing the same program and, coincidentally, we're roughly on the same week (I'm finishing Week 11). Some of the things you say sound pretty similar to what I experience during the workouts.

    Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Good to see that my experience resonates with yours. I guess that to some extend we are all going through the same phases.
      Week #11: nice, you're almost done! The final stretch seems easier. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Started following you yesterday. Raul here ;)

      Delete
    3. I'm following you too. Your Hera time is pretty good. You must be fast on the 400m run (faster than me anyway! ;-))

      Delete