Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cardio-Strength Program: week #8

Week #8 out of 15

This week I'm back on a more normal routine. No Hell Days, and I have returned to the boxing gym after the year-end break. Aside for 1 new workout, my training is based on familiar exercises.
The only challenge was that I have been assigned 5 sessions. To fit them all in my schedule, I decided to start the week with 2 sessions in a row.


Monday:
  • Session 1: HADES (19:29* -personal best)
  • Session 2: BURPEES MAX (64*) +METIS (05:30 -personal best*)

I wanted to start the week with a personal best. Hades had not improved over the past 2 weeks. Last week, I actually scored longer time than usual  due to the Hell Days. So that's the workout that I wanted to improve today.
My pace was good, but I quickly felt that my arms were still a bit strained from my last training on Saturday. In the end my time improved by 6 seconds. It's not much, but it's a step in the right direction. And it's good to start the week on a positive note.

Then I tackled the second session. For a while now I have been wondering when I would break the 70 rep ceiling in Burpees Max. This time I finished in the mid-sixties. Again.

And finally, I did Metis. As I mentioned, my arm muscles were a bit tired and I felt good from my new PB. This was the perfect receipt for slacking-off on the last workout: I had a justification to take-it easy (sore arms) + a good reason not to feel bad about it (already scored a PB). But that didn't happen.
Before training I didn't even bother checking what my personal best was exactly. I just started training. But when I saw that round 1 was cleared in under a minute, I knew that I was on track with my best pace. Personal Best, whatever the exact figure, was reachable. I kept going as fast as possible. Despite my efforts, in round 2 my pace had slowed down. The PB was getting away. But human mind works in strange ways: I became furious that my efforts in round 2 did not materialize in better performance. The last round was just an insane rush. Breathing had become secondary. At this stage, I had no idea if the PB was still possible. I just wanted to give it all to have no regret.
When the counter stopped, I laid on the ground for a good while trying to catch-up my breath. I had improved my PB by 1 second! It's a ridiculously low improvement compared to the effort, but it felt great nonetheless.


Tuesday: ATLAS (24:39*)

Atlas is a new workout for me. It includes running and had to be performed outdoor.
Lately you have seen me complaining a lot about bad weather. So, to be fair, I need to report that today while training during my lunch break, I had perfect conditions. 
Sunny but not too much. Mildly cold, but just enough to cool me down during the workout. Days like this, make me look forward to outdoor training in the spring.


Anyway, back to business. Here is what I had to complete today:

  • 2km run
  • 50 deep squats
  • 50 burpees
  • 50 froggers
  • 50 leg levers
  • 100 jumps

My first reaction was that it didn't look too good. But as you can see from my completion time, it didn't take me much longer than other workouts. Sure most exercises have 50 to 100 repetitions, but there is only 1 round.

The novelty for me were the froggers (like in the video below, but I had to bring my feet at the same level as my hands). It's demanding on the Cardio side, but nothing crazy. In term of difficulty, I put it on the same level as climbers.




Wednesday: BURPEES MAX (70* -personal best) +METIS (05:12* -personal best)

Same session as on Monday but this time I did have to complete another session beforehand. It clearly shows in the final results, with 2 personal best.
My favorite PB today, is Burpees Max. I had chased that PB for weeks now, and finally reached 70 repetitions. Ideally I want to go beyond but it's still out f reach.
I have done so many burpees since starting Freeletics, that honestly I don't really mind anymore. But when I have to complete many repetitions per round (50 or above), it remains a bit challenging. At this stage I don't know if it will improve as I keep training, or if I need to fix something in my execution (breathing, may be?)
If I get stuck at 70 for a while, I'll need to look at this more closely.

The Metis completion time is much better than on Monday, but this time no mad rush to finish, the effort was fairly balanced throughout the workout.



Thursday: Boxing training

First boxing training in 3 weeks, but without any major difficulty. Thanks to all the workouts these past weeks, my physical condition was good. I actually found that my execution of Jackknives had improved.



Saturday: APOLLON (23:32* -personal best)

I didn't get the chance to train outdoors on Friday and so I completed my last training over the week-end. This time I paid attention not to lose too much time during the 400 meters runs. All along the workout I was on track to score a PB. Unconsciously, I started to slow down in the third round (which is why it's sometimes preferable not to know exactly what is the reference time to to beat). I had to sprint over the last 80 meters to catch-up this delay. My PB improved by about 17 seconds. Next time if I stay focused during all 3 rounds I should be able to improve it further.


That's all for this week. I have now officially completed more than half of my program. Only 7 weeks left to go. Wow, time is flying. You can expect another post later this week, it's time to give an update on my body-stats.

19 comments:

  1. Wow! Good times :) results have a really great keep it up! Have perseverance :) I'm on week 14 and at the moment I can not imagine a day without freeletics again :) perseverance you wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I start to have decent times, but as I'm following people with much better results I can see that I still have a LOT of room for improvement. I'm still far away from completing Aphrodite under 15mn! :-)

    You're right it's all about perseverance. But since you're already at week 14, I can't imagine that you could quit. My gut-feeling is that most people who quit the program do it within the first 4-5 weeks. Before you see the results and before you get used to do as part of your daily/weekly routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already can not imagine a day without freeletics. The most important is perseverance :) Aphrodite in 15 minutes? Maybe someday I can do for now :) long way from me :) if you want check my results I invite you to my blog :) Www.freeletics-diary.blogspot.com :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Mateusz. I looked at your blog, but as I don't speak polish it's a bit hard to me to understand! ;-)
    The good news is that pictures don't need translation. Congratulations, for the weight loss! It's visible that you have been losing fat (esp. belly & arms). You are a big guy, you'll probably look very impressive once you're finished building muscles.

    I also noticed that you counted calories of your meals. It's funny, I was thinking to do the same thing at the end of my program. I'm not focused at all on changing my diet at the moment, but it could be a good learning exercise for me to see how much calories I eat per week. Do you weight all you meals to determine the exact calories or you do an estimate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, as you probably noticed my English is not impressive ;( and therefore I am not able to write in that language.
      On the left you can take advantage of the translation on my blog :)
      Regarding adipose tissue is my have lost much, and it is good that it is discernible :)

      I believe that diet is very important because I went to a nutritionist and he puts my diet.

      You can read about the proper metabolism and your body needs calories, then no problem, you will be able to arrange my diet :)

      Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Dude i hope you dont mind i am following your programme. it seems pretty solid and balanced. rather than spend 30 quid on a coach. Thanks man keep it up your times are good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do my best to improve these times.

      Regarding the program, I think that it makes sense to try it for free for a few weeks. Some people will realize that this method doesn't work for them, or that they need to prepare physically before taking-on the full program. Whoever buys the program and then stops, will feel cheated.

      However, for people managing to stick to the training for a few weeks, I encourage you to buy it if you can afford it. Some people interested by Freeletics come from developing countries (I have had a few readers from various African country), where 30 euros is a big deal.

      However, if you have the cash and like the method, I think it's fair to give something to the guys who developed it. I don't know if I'll ever buy from them a program again in the future, but honestly I don't feel bad about the bucks that I gave. The Freeletics guys got their share, and I have gotten a method that I'll be able to customize to fit my training needs. For me it's a win-win.

      My 2 cents.

      Delete
    2. Sure..i have bought the app on itunes so have all the workouts. Thanks again

      Delete
  5. What do you thin does it have a big impact if i do freeletics program and pretend that my week has 9 instead 7 days, i am a climber and i climb at least 2 times a week and i find it pretty hard to do 4-5 freeletcis sessions and min 2 climbing sessions in one week.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough question.

      So far I have been able to follow strictly my program, and at the same time, attend my weekly boxing training. Trust me, boxing is very demanding, this is not a rest day. So, in most cases it should be possible to combine a sport without altering the regular schedule of 4-5 sessions per week.
      In your case, you need to train not once but twice per week. I understand that you don't want to do sport every day, it's important to give a rest to your body from time to time.

      One question that you need to ask yourself is: why did you want to do Freeletics in the first place?

      If it's just a side training to gain some muscle, then there is probably not too much impact. If your main goal is to lose weight, then spreading the effort should have an impact. There are many factors (genes, etc.) affecting weight, but at the end of the day, I think that there are only 2 levers we can change: calories input and calories output.
      For the sake of the argument, let's say that you eat 2'000 calories per day and that you have to complete 4 sessions burning 400 calories each. If you train over 7 days: input = 14 Kcal and output = 1.6Kcal. If you train over 9 days: input = 18 Kcal and output = 1.6Kcal.
      Doing the effort over 9 days is much better than sitting in front of the tv eating chips, but I imagine that it will be less effective than over 7 days.

      Now, you also need to take into account that you're not just doing Freeletics but that you are also burning calories climbing. I don't know how difficult your weekly climbing sessions are. If you think that they are as intensive as a Freeletics session and if most of your body is exercising then it's probably not a very big deal to extend the week.

      Another way you could look at it, is how do you schedule your training. If you have 1 light training during the work-week and a big climbing expedition over the week-end, may be you can schedule around it. For example: Monday & Tuesday: 1 or 2 sessions, Wednesday: light climbing. Thursday: last session of the week. Friday & Saturday: rest. Sunday: Big climbing.

      I would just conclude saying: try to do both for a while and see what happens. You might realize that you body gets used to it and that it doesn't impact your climbing. However if you can't climb properly, or it's too heavy for your personal life then you may need to customize the program.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for taking such an effort to answer my question!

    I would say that my main goal is to strengthen my core/upper body but also to lose any excessive weight because it is very welcome in climbing terms :) right now im (190cm, 91kg) 6 months ago i was 84 kg, and i find it to be ideal for me, so i would like to get back to it soon.

    To answer your question, i would say that my climbing sessions are much more intense then freeletics one, i feel much much more wasted after climbing sess. than freeletics. And yes i do feel it impacts my climbing if im doing freeletics day before or at the same day.

    I would say that main reason why i really cant keep up with the schedule is that i am an outdoor person, i climb 2 times a week, ride mtb regulary, and almost every weekend im climbing, hiking or biking. So 5 sessions really cant work for me in one week, but that also means that im burning allot more calories than only doing 5 freeletics sessions a week.

    I will try to stick with 9 days week :) and let you now how it worked for me after some time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed with such activity on the side, it seems like it should be fine. But I'd be curious to see what results you get at the end using this 9 weeks schedule.

      With all the activity that you are doing you still gained 7kg in 6 months? Was it a period of inactivity or did enjoy Christmas food a bit too much? :-)

      Delete
  7. It's a little bit more complicated actually :)

    I was on a pretty hard climbing expedition in Bolivia for a month, and wile there i dropped from 84 to 75kg's! Due to exhaustion and bad food... on return home, i was a bit overwhelmed and took 2 months brake from every kind of sports, so on home food i bounced back much more then i wanted... now when im back fully active i expect it to go away pretty fast. At-last i hope :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could make money by selling this has a fast weigth-loss method: "The Bolivian diet: lose 9kg in 4 weeks! Results guaranteed!" :-)

      Delete
  8. good job carry on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done!
    I also started with freeletics one week ago and I hope it will make me fit for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll definitely be in better shape at the end of the program. Just never loose sight that it takes time for your body to adapt. So even if you don't see changes the first 7-8 weeks, keep going! The pay check comes at the end! ;-)

      Delete
  10. The night slim pro
    Best Weight Loss product with discount and money back guarantee from a trusted platform
    👇
    The Night Slim Pro

    cho hye jung weight loss diet guide

    ReplyDelete